Hello to newbie doulas (Path 1) and seasoned doulas (Path 2) alike! Here’s how in-person training for DTI2 certification goes:
First, you’ll watch some breastfeeding and childbirth education videos.
Then, you’ll join us for a four-day training workshop with fellow doulas and seasoned educators. We’re so happy you can join us in REAL LIFE! I mean, how often does that happen anymore? This is something special. Expect four days of learning, laughter, new friendships, soulful connections – you’re all investing in this because you have a core purpose in common, so you’re bound to like each other (ok, no guarantees, but we have a feeling).
Out-of-towners in need of accommodation, we’ll get you set up. Email us for reasonable rates on rooms.
Some of our rooms can accommodate 2-3 people, so let us know if you’re traveling with a friend who’s also attending the training. Also, let’s just take a moment to appreciate badass friends that take business/pleasure trips together. You inspire us.
Post-workshop, you’ll spend your time over the next nine months:
- Working through a reading list that deepens your knowledge of subjects covered in training
- Receiving guidance from our educators and online mentorship groups through monthly Q&A calls, including access to DTI’s Expert Affiliate program (a live, breathing, ever-growing video archive of interviews with experts in the field)
- Experiencing doula “field work” aka shadowing community classes, learning infant CPR, attending births and supporting families post-partum
You’ll keep track of your progress in a packet that you’ll submit for review at the end of the program and then bam, you’re certified for life!
DTI2 In-Person Certification Requirements
- Watch DTI’s Childbirth Education and Breastfeeding videos in advance of your training.
- Attend a hands-on training with a DTI Educator. Participants will be ready to work as a labor and postpartum support doula immediately following the training.
- Provide documentation of attendance at 3 births.
- Provide documentation of 16 hours of postpartum care for a minimum of two families.
- Participate in our mentorship program that provides students with ongoing support throughout the certification process. This includes (but is not limited to) online groups as well as the monthly group calls facilitated by a DTI trainer or expert in the field.
- Read all required reading materials in accordance with online curriculum. View the full DTI2 Required Reading List.
- Attend a breastfeeding class OR a breastfeeding support group. (Path1 Only)
- Attend a childbirth education class. (Path1 Only)
- Provide documentation of infant/child CPR certification.
- Create a business strategy outline.
- Create a list of resource referrals from your home community.
- An essay describing your role as a labor and postpartum doula. (Path1 Only)
- An essay on how you see yourself making an impact as a doula and in the larger birth community. (Path1 Only)